Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Meet a Member - Melissa T.

Before joining Square One, Melissa shared a piece of her current journey with us: 

Growing up I was always “a big girl”, “big boned”, “overweight”, “fat”…whatever you want

to call it. The teasing began in Junior High and continued through High School. Teasing by people,

who at that time, I thought were my friends. The memories of those “friends” going passed me

muttering “Buffalo”. That was my under the breath nickname. Once you hear something over and

over, it becomes what you believe…I believed it and still do.

As an adult now, I know I need to train my brain to think differently. Here are the top 3

reasons why I need the help from Square One to become a NEW ME:

To be a better TEACHER…I feel that I need to be a good role model to my students by

not only teaching academics and the importance of them, but also teaching students the

importance of having a healthy body and mind. How can I teach the importance of having

a healthy body, when I clearly do not have one myself? I believe Square One can help!

To be a better PARENT…when I look at my two beautiful daughters I begin to see how

they are so much like me. It makes me sick to think that someday someone could hurt

either of them with just a word or two, and eventually believe that it’s true. How can I

teach my children that it is okay to love yourself how God made you, despite what other

people say when this is something I struggle with myself? I believe Square One can help!

To be a better ME…like I said before, I need to train my brain to think differently. How

am I able to train my own brain to think differently when it’s never thought differently

before? In order to do this I need help, support, encouragement and to be taught how to

think differently. I believe that Square One can train my brain!


Here is what she writes after one week at Square One:
Week 1
February 8-15, 2014

Successes
·        New Year, New ME! I’m excited to say that I’ve joined the Square One team! With their help, I am going to become the best ME I can be and in the process hopefully inspire others to do the same.
·        On February 8, Marty weighed me in and did all of my baseline measurements. He gave me a daily calorie range. I have been tracking my food every day and have stayed with in my daily range!
·        They say this place is “not your normal gym…it’s different”. At first I thought, “How can it be that different?” I soon found out. I have learned that at Square One members work as a team. It’s encouraging…it’s like a family…and I’m proud to say that I’m a part of it now!

Difficulties
·        The only downside to this week is that I didn’t get to workout as much as I had planned. Tuesday night was a late night with conferences, so no evening workout at Square One. Friday we didn’t have school, so no workout after school.

Wednesday Workout
·        I work out with a group of teachers from school on Wednesdays. Here’s what we did this week:

o   5 Rounds
§  24 kettlebell swings
§  24 box jumps
§  3 minute run
§  24 burpees
§  24 wall balls

Ponder this…


No comments:

Post a Comment