Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Meet a Member - Melissa T, Weeks 31 and 32


Week 31 & Week 32

September 9, 2014 and September 16, 2014

 

Thoughts for the Week…

  • The gym was closed due to bad weather on the 9th, so I had to go 2 weeks without weighing in. I don’t like going that long because I am always wondering what that scale is going to reflect. Did I lose? Did I gain? Shouldn’t I be content with being able to look back in my food journal to count how many stars, smileys, sad faces and workouts I’ve had in the previous week and gauge my week by that instead of putting so much worry and angst into that “number on the scale”? Technically I should be content with that, but somehow our brains get set into thinking that the scale is the deciding factor on how we did the previous week. Why is it that a silly piece of equipment can have that much control over my thinking? In Train Your Brain, Marty discussed this very topic and the answer to that question is…because we don’t give ourselves credit for all the GOOD things we do to be healthy. We tend to focus on the negative, which in turn, just fuels our seed of doubt. Focusing on the good and giving ourselves credit is like putting weed killer on that seed of doubt and making it shrink. Giving ourselves credit can be for any and all of the following things: resisting seconds, refusing samples at a grocery store, overcoming a sabotaging thought, food journaling, ignoring temptations, and eating healthy. We MUST focus on the positives we do every single day so that once a week occurrence of stepping on the scale isn’t weighing on our shoulders so much. No pun intended! Anyway, back to weighing in…I lost another 1.2 pounds! I’m less than 20 pounds to my goal weight!



  • Train Your Brain is very thought provoking. Someone in the group had said, “I’m trying to eat healthy.” Valid statement, right? Marty came back and discussed how food addicts never fully commit to this lifestyle change of eating healthy and exercising. He used marriage and children as a comparison. Do we say, “I’m trying to take care of my kids”, “I’m trying to stay married” or “I’m trying to go to work everyday”? For the vast majority of us the answer is NO. Marriage, children and having a career are all lifestyle changes that we fully commit ourselves to, so why is it that we can’t fully commit ourselves to eating healthy and exercising when we KNOW that is what is the best thing for us? Oftentimes when someone of size decides to “try to lose weight” they keep it to themselves. We keep it to ourselves because if people know what we’re trying to accomplish then they also know when we fail. We already think of ourselves as failures to begin with, we don’t want everyone else to have the proof to back it up. One way to fully commit to this lifestyle change is to tell other people your goals. Declare it to the world! I did that 7 months ago and it was one of the most difficult things I’ve ever had to do.

 

WOD (Workout of the Day)

  • 50 squats
  • 5 burpees and 5 medicine ball slams
  • 40 sit ups
  • 5 burpees and 5 medicine ball slams
  • 30 lunges (each leg counts as 1)
  • 5 burpees and 5 medicine ball slams
  • 20 kettle bell swings
  • 5 burpees and 5 medicine ball slams
  • 10 ft. bear crawl
  • 5 burpees and 5 medicine ball slams

 

  • Then go back up the numbers starting with 10, then 20, etc. doing the burpees and medicine ball slams between each set.

 

Ponder this…

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEiwrHWybjQFZqAKddAxfrMhL_-240QA066PaE_TNva7XHL0PIySoPbXXbBfI6cq73kE5nYAjUHgFPD9S-Rz0WZuN-uXR9gLOaoSqQX0qoeJnqjU8ajdv6N1uAS-ScA7hWnfJecVlGStX2U/s1600/zig.jpg

  • Our goal is to make this a lifelong change of eating healthy and exercising, not just something we do once in a while or something we try to do on a daily basis. We must fully commit ourselves to this lifelong change!

No comments:

Post a Comment