Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Meet a Member - Melissa T, week 42


My name is Melissa…

December 16, 2014

 

Thoughts for the Week…

Macintosh HD:Users:eturnem486:Desktop:S1 Blogs:illness wellness.jpg

 

When we get to the point in our life when we feel we need to do something about our weight, the first thought that comes to mind is, “I need to workout.” We join a gym (maybe even pay extra for a personal trainer), workout and lose weight, quit the gym because we’ve met our goal and in a year we are back to where we started in the first place. What went wrong? We didn’t treat the “illness”. When I first started my sessions of Train Your Brain, Marty kept referring to us as food addicts. I thought I was in the wrong place and that this class wasn’t for me, because after all, I’m not addicted to food. Never in my life had I ever thought of myself as a food addict. I was just overweight because I wasn’t working out and I’m “big-boned”. But after 10 months of digging into the reality of the who, the what, the when, the why and the how of eating, yes, “My name is Melissa, and I am a food addict”. I have an illness that needs to be taken care of or else I’ll continue the cycle of joining a gym, working out, losing weight, quitting the gym because I met my goal, and gain all the weight back again.

 

So how does this “illness” become “wellness”? In an illness, nobody knows the issues but “I”. And sometimes the “I” doesn’t even know there is an illness. I didn’t! To transform this food “illness” into “wellness”, we must talk to other people about our problems to help us out. We all need to be listened to and we need to listen to others. Thanks Marty for helping me realize I have an illness, but even more thanks to you for helping me transform that illness into wellness. I’m learning that this isn’t a 10-month cure…it’s for a lifetime.

 

Get Moving!

  • 15 minute AMRAP (as many rounds as possible)
    • 10 push ups
    • 10 push press
    • 10 sit ups
    • 10 jump squats
    • 40 high knees (each leg counts as 1)

No comments:

Post a Comment