Thursday, April 24, 2014

Meet a Member: Melissa T., Week 11

Week 11
April 22, 2014
Before and During Pics
   
 
     

·        I guess this is the best I can do for a picture. It’s the best I can get an 8 year to take, anyway!

Thoughts for the Week…
·        I surpassed 30 pounds lost! I am down another 3 pounds for a grand total of 32.4 pounds so far!

·        At Train Your Brain, Marty discussed “Motivation”. He warned us at the beginning of class that we weren’t going to leave that room saying, “Woohoo! Let’s go take over the world!” Needless to say, he was correct. At the end of class it was silent. I, for one, was contemplating everything Marty said. First of all, I learned that there is negative motivation and there is positive motivation. One form of negative motivation would be not liking the way you feel/look which can shake you up a little to get you moving towards a goal of feeling better. Positive motivation consists of doing something that makes you feel good. Many people on a weight loss journey, myself included, begin with negative motivation. Negative motivation can lead to positive.

·        Marty also talked about extrinsic versus intrinsic motivation. Extrinsic motivation is doing something to get rewarded for, whereas intrinsic motivation is finding those pleasures of eating healthy because it makes me feel good. My journey so far has been primarily because of extrinsic motivation. I’ll be honest and say that I eat up (no pun intended) all of those “Good Job” and “Keep it Up” messages. Is that a bad thing? I don’t know. But it makes me wonder why I’m doing all of this hard work. Is it because I want to get rewarded? And if so, what is going to happen when I have a week when I don’t lose anything, or worse yet, gain? I’m hoping that as my journey continues that this extrinsic motivation will lead to intrinsic so that I truly am doing this for myself because it makes me feel good.

·        It is my job to put myself in a position that makes it more difficult for me to fail. Great advice from Marty!

WOD (Workout of the Day)
·        I work out with a group of teachers on Wednesdays and Fridays after school. Below is one of the workouts that we did:

·        50-40-30-20-10
o   Squat jumps
o   Plank pull through
o   Skaters
o   Jump rope/Double Unders (if doing single jumps, multiply the reps by 3)
o   Tricep dips

Ponder this…



·        Another reminder how negative/extrinsic motivation can lead to positive/intrinsic motivation.  

No comments:

Post a Comment